Save The Animals!

Shenny - Phoenix, Arizona

The sound of my neighbor mowing his lawn, the sunlight shining through the window and the smell of the bacon coming from my plate I still remember vividly. Twelve years ago, on a Saturday morning I sat at the kitchen table along with my father, mother older sister, and baby brother. As we ate breakfast, which consisted of eggs, bacon I began to ponder where meat came from. My curiosity allowed me to make a discovery that my kindergarten-self was not ready for.

“Where does bacon come from,” I asked my mom and dad that morning. My dad replied instantly, “pigs.” I could not believe what I had heard. I left the room in tears. My mom followed me into my room and in anger I asked, “Why didn’t you ever tell me?” She apologized and told me she was afraid I would stop eating meat if I knew where it came from. She was right; that is exactly what I planned on doing.

When I told my dad my decision to give up meat he replied, “You will die.” He forced me to eat meat. Every time I ate meat, I was disgusted and it made me almost cry. Finally, after about a year of this occurring, when I was in first grade, I informed my parents that I would never eat another animal. My dad was very angry and was under the assumption that I would get sick but my mom was much more considerate of my decision. She understood my love for animals and that it broke my heart to know that they are killed for us to eat. Knowing that animals are killed to be ate makes me so sad. I just cannot grasp the concept of another’s suffering for our enjoyment.

“You are so weird,” the mean little girl named Karen told me in second grade. She was never hesitant to share her thoughts. Luis, a bully in fifth grade said, “Who cares about stupid animals?” Luis was the type of kid that was too “cool” to show his feelings toward things. Kids throughout my life have teased me numerous times about being a vegetarian. I have never let comments from others get to me though. I will not let others change how I feel about animals and how they should not be killed to eat.

So, here I am, in college, almost twelve years after I gave up meat. Over the past twelve years I have never once ate meat. Many people have asked if it is hard or tempting, while others believe it impossible. I have always found it easy and am not tempted to eat meat. I wish more people were more open to the idea of being a vegetarian because we are not weird; we just love animals. Is there anything in your life you want to change? Whether it is a change to help the world, animals, or people, “become a vegetarian in your own way.”