It is my home

Monique - Colonial Heights, Virginia
Themes: nature

It can be beautiful and deadly at the same time. It washes away messages and holds various forms of life. It burns my eyes, and leaves salt in my mouth. I believe in the ocean.

I believe in the ocean because I can be creative with sandcastles and look for dainty seashells along the shore. I go to the beach multiple times every year, and I never seem to realize how some people have never actually seen an ocean. It holds numerous mysteries and life to unknown sea creatures, but it also serves as a place to engage in activities. I remember the first time I learned how to surf at the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I was lying on the board with a wave towering up behind me. My friends and family were yelling for me to paddle, paddle hard. The harder I paddled, the faster the wave seemed to creep up on me. To my amazement, I was getting up on my feet and balancing on the surfboard. I rode the wave all the way to the end and hopped off when I got back to the shore. I was overwhelmed with excitement of how it felt! The ocean with its magnificence made me feel like I was flying.

I believe in the ocean for the way it makes me feel on hot summer days. I am the classic beach bum. I love to lay out and tan on my brightly colored beach towel while listening to my ipod or reading a magazine. After awhile, the rays from the sun make my body temperate soar and I get sweltering feeling. Walking into the cool ocean water and diving head first into a wave overpowers my heated body. The feeling of the cold water rolling over my skin creates a relaxing atmosphere that seems to paralyze me to just float on the curling waves.

I believe in the ocean because no matter how close to the shore you are, or no matter how deep in the ocean you are, there is a sense of adventure. Deep sea fishing, scuba diving, parasailing, and kite boarding all hold a rush of excitement that only the ocean can provide. Without the existence of the ocean, these things and many others would not even be around. The ocean allows me, as well as others, to enjoy what it gives, and break free from the world.

It holds unknown life. It is like an illusion that the sun drowns at night, and then floats to the sky in the early mornings. It washes away footprints in the sand. It feels like home. It is my home. I believe in the ocean because it makes me feel like me. It allows me to relax and float or to dive and surf. The ocean makes me want to swim away from the world and grow flippers. It allows me to engage in activities that dry land can not suffice. I believe in the ocean.