Hard Work and Dedication Pay Off

Ashley - Frankfort, Kentucky

When I was in 8th grade I had the bright idea to join the high school softball team. Growing up I never had very much athletic ability or coordination, but the idea of being a part of a team appealed to me. The first week of tryouts, and practice in general was probably the hardest thing I have ever put myself through, I never knew softball was the equivalent of boot camp. Although I wasn’t very good at first, I dedicated my time to softball and put forth 110% effort each and every day both on and off the field to make myself a better and more effective player. Because I was one of the youngest players, I did not get much playing time, but regardless I continued to put forth my best effort every day. My team did especially well that year, and advanced to the state tournament. I was not only proud of my team’s efforts but even more proud when my coach approached me and asked me to accompany them to the state tournament. I never imagined I would be traveling to such a big event since I was one of the youngest on the team, but my coach knew the effort I put forth each day and compensated my effort for such a great experience. “This I believe that hard work and dedication pay off.” Just as my personal story suggests, hard work and dedication do not go unseen. These qualities are not only present in sporting events, but also very beneficial in school, within the workplace, and even within society. Hard work and dedication can help you to reach goals and experience things you thought never possible. They can help to advance you onto things you dream of, and are very beneficial in promoting yourself to higher things. People notice these qualities in an individual, they never go unnoticed.

One of my biggest role models and heroes, my uncle, gives a perfect example of how hard work and dedication pay off. It was not just a walk in the park for my uncle to advance from a Murray State University ROTC cadet to a two star General in the United States Army. He faced many controversies along the way as he worked his way up the ranks to such a high position. Not only did he serve our county in Operation Desert Storm, he has also been stationed world-wide, worked with border control within our country, and led Hurricane Katrina Relief efforts. His dedication to our country is truly honorable. He has faced many tragedies during his army career, but knew he had an obligation to his country to continue on and persevere. As you can tell, his hard work and dedication has taken him to one of the highest positions in our country. He could never accomplished these goals had he not put his mind to it and dedicated himself to his efforts. “This, I Believe, that hard work and dedication pay off.”