Fate

Vivian - Irvine, California

I never would have guessed that the missed call left on my cell phone on September 10th, 2008, would be my close friend (let’s call her Sandy) calling to tell me that she had been hit by a car. To be honest, I heard the call ringing but I was way too sleepy to pick it up.

I called her back later, and she told me what happened. As I listened nervously, I wanted to smack her but at the same time give her a hug.

Sandy was riding her bike home from her job, which was helping an elderly lady water her garden. She was not wearing a helmet. As she was crossing a street, she saw a car some distance away and thought she could definitely make it across if she just rode a little faster. Oh dear, she was so wrong. Of course, the middle-aged lady in the car did not see her and kept driving. Before she knew it, Sandy went flying off her bike and into the air, landing on her stomach with her backpack on top.

The lady in the car immediately called the ambulance. Sandy was taken to the nearest hospital. She did some X-rays and tests and luckily, she walked away with only a few scratches and a sore jaw, not to mention a bike that was completely bent out of shape.

It happened because both people executed bad judgment. The lady did not pay attention while driving; Sandy was supposed to wear a helmet and walk her bike across the street. It was likely for Sandy to have suffered severe injuries or worse. I am ever grateful but at the same time amazed that she is okay.

Countless times, events whose reasons I could not describe had me asking myself, “Wow, what are the chances?” However, my belief has never changed.

This I believe: Everything that happens is predetermined by fate. You think it was an accident when you slipped on that wet ground and fell on your tush and your cheeks turned redder than your lips, but it wasn’t. That was supposed to happen. There is no chance, no choice, no accident. You think you had a choice when you decided to eat that last brownie, but you didn’t. If you won the lottery, you didn’t just get lucky; you were meant to win. Everything that’s supposed to happen already happened, is happening, or is going to happen. Hence, despite the “odds” going against her, Sandy was going to be fine no matter what. Destiny decides everything. So the next time your mother yells at you for flunking that Calculus test, just tell her it was fate.