Man’s Best Friend

Eliza Jane - USA

The Runaway Gang. That’s what we called our cocker spaniels. When I was little, our family dogs would bolt out the door, given the chance, and enjoy the freedom of the world. We never found out where they went, or what they did; but when they came back, they were always so happy. I never fully understood why they came back, so I simply attributed it to their hunger. The funny thing was, when they came home all they wanted to do was play with us and lick our faces.

The bond between man and animal is very strong and can be expressed in many ways. In 1969, a couple found a disheveled little lion cub caged up in a pet shop store. They decided to take him home and raise him; however, as a wild animal, they knew one day they would have to let him go. The lion, named Christian, was later released back into the wild in Africa. His owners missed him so much that after a year they returned and found him. Christian had since been made leader of his own pride and, on top of that, found a mate. Astonishingly enough, when Christian saw his former owners, he raced up to them, and without even thinking, grabbed hold of them and hugged them.

Now, I don’t know if the bond between man and animal can be considered love, but it is definitely a deep connection. Seeing-eye dogs, for example, have to be the window to the world for their owner. The amount of trust involved in handing over your life to an animal, is ridiculous. This type of connection is plain and real; otherwise, the seeing-eye dog would not care to do his job. Other types of service dogs can even alert their disabled owners of an impending seizure. It is because of these dogs that their owners are able to lead a more or less normal life. The impetus for dogs to do what they are told and help their owner, is simply to make them happy. The relationship of man and animal is unique and, at times, unbelievable.

I believe the power of the human/animal relationship is also therapeutic. The pure company of any animal instantly reduces my stress level. Growing up with dogs, among other pets, has been a positive factor in my life. The relationship I have with my pets is unlike any other. Your pets don’t judge you in your sweatpants. They don’t get upset when you get a D on a test. And they don’t tell you to clean your room.

I believe in the bond between man and animal.