Protect the minds of generations to come

Shannice - Georgetown, Kentucky

I believe our children should be protected from the negative affects of regular television programs, instead they should watch prerecord or viewed movies that can’t negatively influence them. There is and increased and unnecessary amount of sexual activity, violence and TV shows that stretch the truth of everyday situations within the stories of TV shows. There are television shows such as the Simpson’s, Family Guy, The Boondocks, Hannah Montana, and That’s so Raven that make its hard for me to believe that I would just turn the TV on for my baby nephew to watch. Everyday, if a child were to watch the Simpson’s they would be exposed to Homer and Marge’s sexuality, violence and pranks amongst children and even the public sexuality between a pastor and his wife. Two other examples of TV shows that are pointless to the minds of our youth are The Boondocks and Family Guy. Family guy is an example of everything you would not want your children to be exposed to: sexuality, discrimination, violence, crime, and jokes about different religions as well as history. The one thing that’s big now, and in my opinion affects children faster is the amount of reality TV shows that stretch the truth about every day life. A prime example is Hannah Montana and that’s So Raven. These two TV shows don’t stretch the importance of our youth. Hannah Montana, although a lot of children are into her show now, does not emphasize how hard it would really be to be a singer, a student, a sister, and a friend all at the same time. To an ordinary child, they are thinking “I don’t have to go to school. I can sing and make money and live just fine like Hannah Montana.” Those children aren’t thinking “I want to go to school for four years, take a break to sing, the get into a career.” I believe that TV is not as important as the minds and creativity of children. there would be as much sexual activity, violence and unrealistic dreaming if children didn’t watch it all day on TV. Children are sponges and the younger generations will continue to be more violent, more sexually active at earlier ages, and more unrealistic about their futures if parents and families don’t take the responsibly of protecting children from what is on TV. Once upon a time there were really good education TV shows and cartoons that you could let a child watch all day and it wouldn’t negatively affect them. The good shows included but weren’t limited to: Magic School Bus, Wishbone (although a dog told the stories he still stuck to history), fairly odd parents (teach the consequences of having everything the way you want it and how your way is not always the best way). A mind is too beautiful to waste on pointless television shows. Protect the minds of generations to come; they deserve a chance at life.