I Belive In Fate

abby - USA
Themes: purpose, setbacks

I believe in fate. I believe that everything in life happens for a reason and even if something bad happens, it only means that something better will come along soon. But then I would always remember my mother’s famous words that were imbedded in my head, “ Abby, everything happens for a reason.”

My mom was a strong believer in fate. She knew that in times of sadness, regret and anger, there was always a silver lining.. And every time she would say those words I would reply, “you’re crazy! That’s not true!”

That was until I actually started to see what she was talking about. In my experience, we as teenagers, always look for the bad things in life, reasons to give up and to think that our lives are worse than they really are. However, recently I have come to see that everything does in fact happen for a reason.

For as long as I can remember, I wanted to attend the University of Indiana. Each day I would strive to get one step closer to wearing the red and white. I struggled to ace the S.A.T’s (which only took me 3 times), and I worked for hours perfecting my application.

Everything seemed great. I figured that I had my future set out for me, and that after high school I would be off to Indiana to start my life as a college student. But, there it was, the small envelope; the envelope that is a high school senior’s worst fear. I got rejected from the University of Indiana.

I never thought that I would get over the fact that I was not going to be a freshman at IU that fall. I spent hours crying to my parents about how devastated I was. Then my mom chimed in with her famous quote, “ Abby, everything happens for a reason.” But of course, I still did not believe her.

I then visited ASU with a very closed mind. I just kept telling my parents how the trip was a waste of our time. Then to my amazement, I stepped off of the plane into the eighty-degree weather (in December!) and I was surprisingly very happy. I walked onto campus and saw all of the people, dorms, classes and fields and started thinking to myself, “wow, I think I really like it here!”

I have realized that my mom was right all along. In the end, you will end up where you’re supposed to be. I have realized that I wouldn’t have been happy at the school and that if I had never gotten rejected; I would never have ended up here. This belief has helped me throughout my life, especially when deciding on a college to attend. It just goes to show, mother knows best!