Fat Cats

Molly - Manassas, Virginia

I believe in Cats; Fat Cats to be exact.

I grew up in a household where just about the same time every year, we would end up with another animal. My mother being the soft-hearted person she is, couldn’t ever say no to an animal that needed a good home, because really, who else would take care of them?

I began to love fat cats (because really, all of our cats ended up that way, we could never say no to them) for the smallest details of their being. That deep, warm purr that only is found in overweight cats, the fact that it almost resonated out of them, not only to let you know that they’re happy, but to make you feel good as well. The fact that there was no longer a need for a space heater when you had a fat cat around, they produced enough warmth to share for your head, neck, feet or chest. The fact that no matter what the condition or time of day it was, they would purr and beam up at you, almost smiling, like only fat cats can do. The fact that fat cats are almost like little people wrapped up in a furry, fat body. And lastly, the fact that fat cats are the best listeners, they know when you’re down, when you’re happy and anything in between. They don’t interrupt and they don’t make snide remarks, they don’t call your decisions stupid and they don’t give you the stink eye like your parents might if you told them the same story. I believe in fat cats.

I believe that we could learn a lot from fat cats, if we were more like them our society would probably be a lot different. People wouldn’t care what they ate; they would eat at all times of the day and eat what they wanted. We would never have to worry about an eating disorder ever again. If we were like fat cats, no one would have to worry about being too stressed out or not getting enough sleep, everyone would have nap times- multiples of them. And forget about having enemies, instead of having to worry about people gossiping about you, the worst of your worries would be if you would get fed on time.

But most of all, fat cats are like your personal best friend, they don’t talk behind your back, they don’t judge you if you aren’t looking your hottest that day, they purr and grin all the same. Fat cats are content with life and the way that it is, including the person that takes care of them. They don’t care that you didn’t lose that extra 5 pounds, that you got a ‘D’ on that paper, that you spilled water on yourself; all they care about is that you love them, that they can love you back, and that there is at least a little food in the dish.

So yeah, I believe in fat cats.