Love does not always come easily

Christine - Ardmore, Pennsylvania

I believe that love occasionally takes time. When my husband Al and I met it was love at first sight, though he would probably disagree. H e claims that I needed a little coaxing. When our twin sons were born it was definitely love at first sight. But when Riggs arrived that wasn’t the case with me. Riggs is our four year old pure bred Bloodhound. He is our 105 pound baby. My husband purchased Riggs from a breeder in Louisiana He arrived on our door step at twelve weeks old. This is a dog my husband just had to have. He just fell in love with the breed, known to be kind gentle and loving. For him it was love at first sight. All I could see was a dog that drooled and shed all over the house.

Now you have to understand the situation, our sons Chris and Zach were going off the college. While I knew I would desparately miss them I also knew that with the boys in college we could finally do some of the things we hadn’t had time for.

But low and behold Riggs arrives I will never forget those sad eyes and the ears that just about hit the floor. But, I am not hooked. All I can see is the work involved at a time when life should be getting an easier. But it gets even more interesting, my husband Al gets accepted into a graduate program at the University of Pennsylvania meeting every other weekend leaving me at home with the baby. Riggs is growing into a beautiful dog loved by everyone in the neighborhood I am still not feeling the love. I am vacuuming up dog hair, cleaning the drool off of every surface in the house. This dog is a chewer; he would chew the legs off the furniture if left to his own devices.

But time marches on and we settle into a routine. While my husband is away on a business trip it is my job to take Riggs for his twice daily walk. We were about a block from home when I tripped and fell face down onto the cement. Blood everywhere, I get up and make it back to the house with Riggs in tow. While sitting in my kitchen waiting for my friend Bea to come and take me to the hospital Riggs is frozen in the middle of the room crying. I sit beside him and I am hooked. For all the work and aggravation this creature has brought into our lives he has brought many hours of fun and joy to these empty nesters, he truly has become part of the family. So love doesn’t always come easily or quickly but when it does it stays forever, for this I believe.