Long Distance Relationships

Samantha - Hampton, Illinois
Themes: love

I love the smell of his Calvin Kline cologne. I spray it on my favorite sweatshirt every once in a while to remind me of his presence. Sometimes, if I really miss him, I will put on his sweatshirt and spray one squirt of his cologne and just kind of cuddle in bed with a good book. I’m talking about my boyfriend. He lives in Michigan, and I live in Iowa. He and I have been together for two years and we have had our share of troubles. But it always works itself out though.

I believe in long distance relationships. It has worked for me for two years. Five hundred and fifty six miles away from me is someone that I love very much. We talk everyday and spend every moment we can with each other on the phone. He is the love of my life and always will be. He is the one person I can go to with anything. He knows me better than my best friend and my parents. I can tell him things that I can’t really tell anyone else and he is the only guy that really do trust.

I know that believing in long distance relationships sound funny, but I do. My life has been revolving around on for two years now and we have made it work. My boyfriend, Steve, and I have done lots of things to keep it together, so to speak. We set dates where we will rent the same movie or watch the same TV show at the same time and during that time, we will call each other to talk about what’s going on. We will play games online with each other and sometimes we just spend hours on end on the phone.

Long distance relationships have their ups and downs. Most don’t even work out. They play agony on a person’s physical and social well being but while that may be a down side, and upside is that I don’t have to worry about fighting over a toothpaste cap or who didn’t take out the trash yet. Being far apart gives me a chance to maintain my individuality.

I believe in them because I am a part of one. My heart has set its place and I am bound and determined to make it work and I know Steve is too. I love him so much and we both will do anything to make it work out. Everybody will come across one at least once in their lifetime, whether it works out or not. Everyone should experience that longing need to be with someone that far away at least once. I know I am and I know that I have found the right person.