Let’s all be a Little Civil

Diana - Irvine, California

To me, the key to having great relations and keeping society grounded is that everyone should be civil to each other.

One day, I was at Ikea with my parents and we were waiting in line to check out. It just so happened that the line curved and we were behind a random stack of furniture. On the other side of that stack, a lady and her son didn’t see that the line curved and she started her own connection to the line. As we were moving up, we moved in front of her and she unsurprisingly said “Excuse me”. As soon as she said that, my mom and I both turned around and said “The line was curving and we were here first”. The guy in front of us, thankfully, confirmed that we were and so we moved up. With an attitude, she replied, “Well go ahead but I mean I don’t know when lines started curving”. This obviously got me mad and so I turned to her and said “Well lady we don’t know either it just so happened to be like this when we got here.” She looked at me and told me I had a bit of an attitude and I agreed, but I also told her she had one too. After I told her that she tried to act all nice and denied ever giving me attitude.

I was so frustrated with this lady that I wanted to say more to make her feel bad, but I knew that was too much. As I was thinking to myself on the way home, I realized it was a good thing that I didn’t say more than I needed to. In fact, I should have said less. I could’ve been the bigger person and ignored her. That is when I realized why can’t everyone just be civil to one another? We should all be nice and ignore the people who like to say their little comments. I mean seriously, I know it is hard not to get mad when people are rude or say unnecessary things, but if we were all civil to each other, these things wouldn’t really happen.

It’s going to be tough to get everyone to change their ways or maybe even fake being nice, but as long as it is out there, that’s all that matters. But seriously, how has society come to a point in which we can’t even say a simple “Good morning” or “Hello” to a stranger we see walking down the street? Sometimes that simple “hello” or whatever it is can brighten up somebody’s day. Sadly, I can’t even find a genuine guy who is willing to open the door or even offer to pay if we’re on a date. So much for being civil, right?

So to society, let’s start now. To the parents, teach your kids. And to the kids, listen and learn.