Go Ahead and Smile

Benjamin - Irvine, California

Go Ahead and Smile

I believe in greeting others with a smile. It is polite to smile around those we know, and even those we don’t. Whenever I meet someone new, or see a friend, I always try to greet them with a smile. It is my special way of saying, “Hello, it is nice to see you.” It tells you that I acknowledge your presence, that I am aware of you. In a world of negativity, a smile can assure someone that everything is okay. A smile shows that I am happy to see you, and that I care about you in some way, regardless of whether or not I am your personal friend. A smile speaks volumes to your attitude as a person. It shows that you have a sense of confidence, a sense of humor, and a cheerful outlook on life. It is just better to smile. Your day will seem livelier and your worries will seem less important. Smiling is apart of my life. I smile at the supermarket, at the movies, at home, at the beach, even when I do my homework.

I remember one day in particular when I didn’t smile. This got me into trouble with my parents. It was on my sixth birthday, December 4th 1996, when I opened a present from my grandpa. It was a Utah Jazz NBA basketball jersey. At the time, the Chicago Bulls were my favorite NBA basketball team. I didn’t care about any other player except Michael Jordan, especially one who plays for the Utah Jazz, the Chicago Bull’s rival at the time. Rather than smile and thank my grandpa for the gift that he had just given me, I told him quote, “I hate the Utah Jazz.” Needless to say, this did not go over well with my parents. My Dad used some choice language get his point across, telling me that I was being extremely rude and disrespectful. Later that night, my Mom sat me down and told me, “You could have at least smiled and said thank you.” She was right. Life can be much easier if we put a smile on and look at things from a positive perspective. To this day, I continue to receive bad presents on birthdays. Rather than react with a frown, I smile and move on. It is better to be appreciative of the things you have, rather than dwell on your misfortunes. Throughout my life, there has been one constant: a smile.