Fears Fears Everywhere

Behdad - Irvine, California
Themes: fear

I walked up the slippery steps of smooth stone, gripping the handrail, about to die. Looking up to the blocked up view of the sky, I prayed for the last time. As I walked toward the valley of death, time slowed down as if I was in a time warp. Sweating profusely, I could not stop the shaking; in a way I was preparing my funeral. I heard echoes of foreboding cheering, yelling my name. After what seemed a couple of hours, within seconds I was at the top of the platform, ready to jump, ready to end my life. I prayed not for safety or survival but to end the pain quickly. My legs felt like rubber and my stomach contained butterflies tickling my inside. I walked to the tip of the platform, looking down I saw a dark abyss. In that moment I could have sworn I saw red glinting eyes coming from it but alas my mind and body were not there, though physically I was. I prayed to God one more time asking why I have to end my life so soon. I take a couple of steps back and take a running start realizing I was standing still on the highest point of the world of too long. I cleared my mind and jumped. The butterflies now started a tumultuous storm in my stomach; I flailed my arms hoping to slow myself down. Then I hit the water, SPLASH! I go deep into the pool of water thinking I was drowning but I was too hopeful. I swam to the edge of the pool and got out. All around me I was congratulated by my peers for jumping the 30-foot platform in the gymnasium pool. I thought back moments before where I plunged to my death. I got an epiphany realizing that one cannot be afraid of the unknown. Just because something is unknown, it should compel people to seek it, rather than drawn them away. What is the worst that can happen by seeking the unknown? No one should live there life in fear for it holds he or she back. The road of life is a mysterious one. Most often people focus at the end of the journey rather than the journey itself. The true prize is the journey of life rather than the prize located at the end of life’s road. Cowardice should be the fear rather than cowardice spreading the fear. Take a moment to yourself; think about the fears that dwell in the back of your mind. Now get up and conquer those fears and I promise you will not regret it.