The Power of Belief

seho - syracuse, New York

“The Power of Belief that I can do”

Sometimes, people face with challenges by any kind of reasons. It can be related to myself, change of life condition, health, love, and any other things. No matter what it is, people can be worried so easily especially when it is first time, so someone can give up before even started. However, people sometimes don’t notice that they are here because they have been gone through all challenges in the past. What I believe is that when we belief that we can do, we can actually do whatever it is. That belief makes everything happen.

Becoming a soldier all of sudden from a normal college student should be a huge challenge for everyone. As a Korea nationality male, I had to serve 2-year mandatory army duty. After spring semester of 2006 is over, I cut my hair, left my family and joined the army. I joined as a KATUSA (Korea Augmentation to the United States Army). We actually work as an US army supporting USFK and 8th army in Korea. By that time, I was really scared. I had to leave my family, and all personal life was limited be the ROKA regulation. I had to finish 8 weeks base training in the middle of mountain. There suppose to be a pen and book in my hand, but there is a weapon in fact. Totally changed life was just a frightening to me. But, I realized that there was nothing I could do, but I actually become a soldier and enjoy it. I tried to believe that I am a soldier. Maybe I was one type of normal student, but now, I am a soldier and nothing more. This belief made me to finish my duty as a Colonel driver safely and perfectly. This belief also gave me a medal of honor as a Senior KATUSA from the commander of U.S Army in Korea. The belief now brought me back to school and makes me smile when I look back 2 years ago.

Besides 2-year army life, there was a really big challenge for myself. It was totally related to myself, and it was about the weight. I used be a big eater and didn’t like exercising at all. So, before the army period, my weight was about 218 pounds. Of course, I had little problems on my health. I had high blood pressure and high level of cholesterol. So, basically, I had all problems related to health, self-esteem, and other things from over weighted body condition. I thought that army life is the only chance that I can lose my weight and gain healthy condition in my life. I just believed that I could do because people actually on diet and they loose weight. Why can’t I be like one of them? It was really painful not eating and just keep exercising. Getting used to something that I haven’t done is really hard and takes lots of time. After 3 months, I start to enjoy by times goes by. I hate the feeling of filled stomach and enjoy running. After 12 months, I lost 72 pounds and I got my health back. In these days, my diet story is one of big issue among my friends. Now, I am also smiling when I look back my past. This could happen because I believed.

As my last story, my father smoked and drank for last 30 years. He was not like an addicted man, but he definitely enjoyed doing it. I suggested a deal that I lose weight more than 50 pounds in a year, then father also quit smoking and drinking. We accepted that suggestion from the son, and now he quitted. How can it be happened that easily from 30-year habit? I actually don’t know, but I think that my father might be stimulated by his son and believed that he could do it. All my family is really happy about that these days. And I accomplished two things because I believed.

Everything was looked impossible. I haven’t done before, and I haven’t even tried before. However, those challenges came to my life all of sudden. Nothing was expected. We all know that there is more unexpected challenge than expected one. Whenever it comes, we might be scared, however, if you really go through or at least saw one who went through, there is no reason that you run away. Just believe you can do it, and that belief makes and control mind to right way. There will be an end, and someday, this hard challenge in front of you will become a good memory of your life. Believe and it will happen.