Let’s talk, in person.

Brian - annandale, Virginia

Have you ever talked to someone who stared at the ground or a distant object for the entire conversation? Or talked to a person who had absolutely no tone or expression in their voice? I believe that these aggravating habits can be blamed on the necessity of technology in our daily lives. Communication is more than spoken words. Through tone, facial expression, and body gestures, your words mean a lot more than you may think. With these non-verbal means of communication, we can incorporate sarcasm, emotion, and passion, and create a whole new meaning out of the words we say. Unfortunately, technology has stunted the human race. Though it has opened countless new ways to communicate, the basic necessities of communication are not being implored in the younger years of a person’s life.

The cell phone has revolutionized communication, however with its brilliance comes great sacrifice. In a direct conversation, verbal communication is only half of the battle. One’s position in the conversation is established with his facial expression just as much as the words he uses. Cell phones require absolutely no expression. For this reason, people no longer develop adequate non verbal communication skills, and have problems later on in life when faced with person-to-person interaction on a daily basis.

Computer programs such as Facebook, Myspace, and Instant Messaging supply kids in general with a false conception of communication. Communication skills go through an immense amount of change in the pre-teen years. This time is also when kids begin to explore the web and seek screen names and online accounts. Dependant on the comfort of online communication, these kids do not develop the tone of voice and expression needed to communicate well. Their social skills suffer as a result. Finding comfort and security in these programs, young males resort to talking to females online to avoid the hardship of rejection. Because of this, their success with women in the future falls short of what they may desire.

Finally, Video games and computer programs allow people to be entertained without the presence of people around them. Children often become more dependent on the interaction between them and the gaming system as opposed to them and other people. It eventually leads to the point where they enjoy playing video games in solace by themselves over interaction with other people at a social gathering. This leads to weak and awkward social skills, and less successes in our competitive society.

As the animal with the most complex and immense communication skills on the planet, the human race needs to realize the effect that technology has on its communication. Eliminating technology is not the solution, however. People need to step out of the comfort zone that technology provides. When you speak to others, make Eye contact. Use your body to express yourself. Speak with tone, passion, and conviction. Boys, take the chance, make yourself vulnerable, talk to girls. Always work to improve your communication. It will change the way people view you.