What’s Your Blood Type?

Alexander - Harrisonburg, Virginia

I recently discovered that one of my good friends is homosexual. A lot of people use that term loosely in modern day language, and I’m not talking about homosexual as in, “that test was gay dude.” A few months ago, I never had any friends that were gay, not that I’m homophobic, but simply because I never came into constant direct contact with any homosexual men. My parents are fairly conservative and they aren’t prejudice against people of a different sexual orientation, however, I can never talk to them about gays without feeling tension in the air. A couple months ago, I came across the realization that just because one man likes other men, it doesn’t mean he is any different than I am.

Over the past few months I have become good friends with a guy named Grant; however, I was hesitant to openly talk to him when I first met him, because I sensed that he was “not of straight sexual orientation.” However the more I talked to him, the closer we got, and we discussed previous relationships we had and after I brought up my ex-girlfriend, he started to talk about his ex. I assumed that Grant was talking about a girl, so I never thought anything of our conversation because, he kept talking about how much he missed his ex. As time passed, I kept noticing slight mannerisms that gave me the feeling that he might be gay, but then I thought to myself, “Pshhht, he’s not gay, I remember him talking about his other relationship. He can’t be gay.” I kept this ideology until just recently when Grant was visiting me at my house.

It was a Saturday night, and I was supposed to go to the movies with some of my friends but I had a doctor’s appointment during the movie showing, so I decided to invite Grant over to my house after my appointment instead. After he arrived we watch Pitch Black, and when the movie ended, we began talking about blood drives, and how I always wanted to give blood, but never participated in school blood drives, then I turned to Grant and asked him if he had ever given any blood. He looked back at me and hesitated as if something was choking him, “I can’t give blood,” he responded, to which I stared at him puzzled and asked “why not?” His only response was, “because I’m gay, and homosexuals can’t donate.” I stared at him in disbelief, all this time I knew him, and never thought he was talking about a boyfriend.

Even now, after knowing this I’m still good friends with him, and I don’t care if he’s gay or straight, it doesn’t matter. As a straight guy, I can honestly say that I have no problem befriending a homosexual. I don’t view him as a gay guy, just as a kind, considerate friend.