The Underdog

Shelby - Tempe, Arizona
Themes: humility, sports

This is the happiest moment of my life. I am one big ball of nerves and excitement, and I am ready to prove to the world that we are good enough to be here. No one ever believed that we could do it, but we did. Always believe in the underdog, I know I do.

When I was a freshman, I joined the lacrosse team at my high school. I was on the JV team and was always looking up to the big varsity girls. However, as the season progressed I learned that most of them did drugs and didn’t show up to their games. So the JV team and I had to step up to the plate and play for them. It was so exciting and very intimidating to play against the other varsity teams. No one took us seriously.

The next year I was a sophomore. All the seniors had graduated and it was like a fresh start because everyone on the team was serious about playing now which meant our practices started getting tougher. I had made the varsity team and I was so excited to be on it. None of the other teams thought we were any competition to them. We finished our season 8-5. Our hard work had started to pay off.

Junior year our team started attending tournaments in Vegas, Colorado and Santa Barbara. We started being seen as a potential threat because our team was older now and we were more experienced. Our team made it to the semi finals and everyone was shocked. We ended up losing by only a couple points and even though it was disappointing, we had made it so far with no one believing we could do it.

My senior year was the time to teach everyone to believe in the underdogs too. I was captain so now I was the senior that all the younger girls were looking up to. I didn’t want to disappoint any of them because I knew what that felt like. We ended up making it to state.

Game day seemed to be the longest day of my life. I walked through school like a zombie. The only thing I could think about was winning the game. When it was finally time to play I felt like I couldn’t breathe. When the whistle blew for the start of the game all my nerves disappeared and turned into adrenaline. With one minute left, the other team scored and we weren’t able to catch up. We lost 10-9 in overtime. There were no words to describe what we were feeling. It was devastating; however, looking back on my freshman year to where we had come in my senior year I was overwhelmed with emotion. The number of things we had accomplished could not be counted and I wouldn’t trade my experiences for anything in the world. If there is one thing I have learned during those experiences, it is to always believe in the underdog.