Live Everyday like It is Your Last

Katie - Algonquin, Illinois

People live day to day not realizing how fast life can end. I feel at times I take for granted the time I have with those close to me. Life is too short and should be cherished. This is something I have learned over the years through personal experiences.

This story is about a friend named Jenna Geixner and how she taught me a life lesson without even realizing it. It was the first day of try-outs for the travel basketball team and I was so nervous. I didn’t know many people and was anxious to make the team. One of the first people to introduce themselves was Jenna. She came over to me with a huge smile and made me feel a lot more comfortably. She’s one of those friends you can always talk to and count on. We rode to almost every tournament together and loved playing on a team with each other. Jenna went to a different high school than me so it was hard to get together as much as we wanted but when we did hang it was such a blast.

A tournament on April 21, 2007 changed the relationship between Jenna and me forever. Jenna decided to leave earlier than me, and I called her before I left to see how far they had gotten and she said they were still driving to the tournament. I told her I loved her and would see her soon.

My heart dropped when I heard the girls had gotten into an accident. The news was that one of the girls broke an arm and a few were in the hospital. I wish this was the truth because I came to realize something more horrifying had occurred.

The first thing was that Jenna had been killed instantly at the scene. Tears immediately came down my face. I cannot explain the pain we all felt that day. I was just talking to Jenna on the phone and saw here the other day! How could she be taken away in a few seconds! I thanked god I told her I loved her. It is so special to me that those were the last words I ever said to Jenna.

It has been almost two years since I lost Jenna and I can still remember that day clearly. I have taken so much away from that experience. One of my strongest beliefs is people should live life to the fullest. You never know when life will end. Live everyday like it is your last and live everyday to the fullest. This is my strongest belief and I will try to stick to it. It is upsetting that I had to gain this belief through the loss of a friend; I hope others can learn to live life this way just by appreciating what you have and realizing it won’t be there forever.