Honesty, the Value That Could

Zachary - Ashby, Massachusetts
Themes: integrity

I am now in college, and free to make my own decisions and am more responsible for my actions than ever before. As I go through my business, and do things I know I should and shouldn’t do, I can’t help but notice how important honesty is to living a healthy and respectable life. Now that I am living mostly on my own, in a suite style dorm with nothing but an RA as an authority figure, I realize how easy it is for people to drift off the right course.

I have experienced first-hand, after doing something I probably shouldn’t have, how honesty can really make your life so much easier. My RA came up to me and questioned me about an incident that occurred and my initial thought was, I will admit, “Oh no, how am I going to get out of this one?” But then, I figured the easiest course of action, for everyone, was to just tell him what had happened, so I did so.

Then, to my surprise, and relief, my RA told me thanks for telling the truth, and that I will not be getting into any trouble, and to not do I again. He also informed me that the alternative route, had I not told him the truth, would be that he would have written me up, and then made life miserable for everyone else in the hall as well.

Another incident that sticks out in my mind occurred just four days before I drove down to Virginia to start my college career. I was driving though town, thinking about how weird it felt to know that I would not be calling this place home for much longer, when I came to an intersection with a road known as the race track due to the curve-less mile of road it provides. I quickly took off, and no sooner had I broken the speed limit by a sizeable amount, then I saw a cruiser backed into the woods. I pulled over, went through the drill, told him everything, and why I was speeding. He came back, gave me my license and registration, told me to slow down, and to have fun in college.

These are just two examples that remind me daily how much easier life is if you are just honest. I could have easily pointed the blame to someone else when asked by my RA what happened, and I could have easily tried to hide from the police cruiser, especially since I was going a lot faster than him and he had to drive out of the woods to get to me. So, the next time you are faced with a choice between the easy route and honesty, remember that in the end, honesty is the easy route. It is something we are seeing less and less of, and, starting with everyone here, we can hopefully start seeing more of it.