This I believe: Freedom of Expression

Hope - Thomasville, North Carolina

I believe that one’s freedom of expression is one of the most important aspects of being a unique individual. Whether it be your speech, actions, or by the way you dress, I believe that everyone has the right to express themselves in the manner that pleases them.

When I was younger, my mom would never let me get any piercings. I particularly wanted my belly-button pierced, but she would not allow it. I was sixteen, and I thought it was completely absurd for her not to let me get it done. She always told me “If God wanted you to have holes in your body, he would put them there.” I guess she had a point. However, I believe that if one wants to have one or even one hundred piercings, then that person should be allowed to do so without negative criticism. I believe that everyone should speak as if the whole world listens. If you believe strongly in or about something, speak up. Don’t ever hold back your true feelings, because in the end you are only hurting yourself.

Also, I believe that one’s dress not only affects that person’s individual style and image, but it also brings uniqueness to a world of conformity. Dress how you want, it is your life and your body. However, please, wear clothes that fit.

Moving along.. I believe that everyone should vote. Not only should everyone vote for president, but also other political roles: minor or major. Finally, I believe in self-expression through music and art. I feel it is extremely important for everyone to express themselves in an art, whether it be drawing, painting, sculpting, performing, or writing. Everyone has the freedom of expression, but not everyone has the will-power to express themselves.