Living for the Moment

Benton - Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey
Themes: carpe diem

“Dream as if you’ll live forever; live as if you’ll die tomorrow.” -James Dean

Sometimes I find myself trapped in a classroom staring out of a window. I know I should be trying to learn but it just seems as though I could be doing more somewhere else. Outside the window i watch people playing frisbee on the quad or sunbathing. My foot starts to tap nervously as I realize I am stuck in this room and minutes of my life are being wasted. If I died today would i be proud of saying I spent my last day on earth in class? This is why i believe I should fill each and every one of my days with something new and exciting. I believe I should always jump at the chance to experience something new. I believe in living for the moment.

I am an impulsive person, maybe that is why I follow this philosophy of living each day out to its fullest like a religion. When I get the opportunity to do something, I do it. When I miss out on something I start regretting it to the point where it eats at me, it’s like I can’t think about anything else. A few weeks ago a friend of mine told me i might look good with an earring, by that night I had a hoop in my lobe. I act first and judge the consequences later, this way I take a risk that could yield fun and/or a learning experience. On the other hand if the risk does not pay off all Im stuck with is the knowledge to not do that again. This is why i believe in living for the moment.

Over this past summer, due to the mindset I have, I was motivated to not waste away and just live from one party to the next. To remedy this I made a bet with myself that i would not be able to try one new and exciting thing and go somewhere i have never been before at east once a week. The things i did range from white water rafting to learning how to lawn bowl. The places i went range from a vacation in Turkey to exploring the brook a mile away from my house. Anytime the opportunity presented itself for something new to do I jumped at it and tried to have as much fun or learn as much as i could from it. As a result of the bet i made with myself I improved not only my summer but also the summers of those that I did these things with. This is why I believe in living for the moment.

So if there is one thing you get out of my speech about living each day out to its fullest make it this. Do something new you have never done before and try to have fun with it.