Nobody Cares

Kevin - Rancho Santa Margarita, California

This I believe- that nobody cares. Nobody cares whether you’re a little chubby or your pants are stained in awkward places. Nobody really cares whether, while you walk down the halls, you trip and fall and embarrass yourself, though they care that you are okay. Nobody really pays attention to the minor, self-conscious beliefs that we each hold about ourselves. People simply are preoccupied with their own thoughts or give these observations but a passing thought. I believe that we convince ourselves that people care out of self-consciousness.

I think of a recent memory- though any memory would work just as well- where I went to the gym for a work out. On this particular day I wore a shirt that I had not worn in a long while that, upon arriving, I realized had a gaping hole along the side. Almost instinctively, I was embarrassed and became self-aware, wishing I could somehow wear a different shirt. As I proceeded, most of the time I tried things to hide it from people- things like using a machine near a wall or workouts where my arm would naturally conceal it. Although not obsessed with this perceived flaw, I was distracted by my state. But then I wondered why I was so concerned. I looked around at each other person- nobody seemed to really care. Each seemed to be preoccupied with how they were perceived by other people or their own lives, and went on with their routines. Nobody was laughing, nobody really even noticed, and, certainly, nobody would ever care to remember. Both relieved and liberated, it felt that I could truly be whoever I was- no matter who was watching.

I firmly believe what Dr. Seuss shared with the world- that it is important to “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” Anyone worth knowing would not care about the little things that all people are self-conscious about, and would never discount anyone for being themselves. I believe that everyone should be themselves and there is no real reason to ever be otherwise.