Patriotism in America

Cameron - Berea, Kentucky

Patriotism in America

If someone were to ask you what is it that truly holds America together and keeps it running day in and day out, year after year, what would you tell them? I believe that what keeps American running is patriotism. Each and every American across this land, of all ages, continues to live and work because they have something to live and work for and that’s this nation. Americans love this land, they love their homes, neighborhoods, families, friends, and they love being able to live in a country where all of this can exist without fear of it being taken away. Because of this, Americans are naturally patriotic and that includes my self. I don’t force my self to show patriotism or to flaunt it; instead, it comes easy for me because I love this country. I am not patriotic because it’s the new thing to be, I am patriotic because I’m proud to be an American, and I’m proud of what this country stands for and what this country has accomplished.

I believe that although Americans are known for expressing patriotism, we should never take patriotism or this country for granted, because there are a lot of men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in making this country what is. Therefore I believe that we owe it to those who have died for this nation, to be patriotic and express the love and appreciation that you and I have for this country each and every day. Now some may feel that expressing patriotism can only be done by wearing our nation’s colors, flying a flag or by having an American flag on the bumper of your car. Well, I believe that although these are a few common ways to express patriotism in America, there are many other ways to show your love for this country. In fact, being patriotic goes far beyond just expressing your love for America, it carries over in your everyday actions. You and I can express our patriotism by treating other Americans, our neighbors, classmates, co-workers and even those we have never met, with respect and kindness. Anyone can treat their best friend or their company boss with respect and kindness but it takes a true patriot to display kindness and respect to people who they may not like or have never met. It is actions such as these that have helped to make our nation what it is and what it will continue to be in the future; therefore, I believe every American should make a constant effort to express patriotism by expressing respect and kindness to others. No matter how much success our country has financially, globally or in general, if America loses its basic values of patriotism, kindness, and respect for others, than America loses its heart and soul, something that America cannot afford to lose.