The Human Element

Colin - Twin Falls, Idaho
Themes: humanism

For better or for worse, one of the major beliefs in my life can be summed up in a television commercial. The ad is for the Dow Chemical Company. The commercial begins by describing elements from the periodic table (i.e. Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen). Then, the commercial goes on to say, “…We may overlook the element not listed on the chart; its importance so obvious, its presence is simply understood. The missing element is the Human Element. And when we add it to the equation, the chemistry changes.” Put simply, I believe in the “Human Element.”

I believe in the power of people. I believe that there are 6.7 billion sources of talent, knowledge, imagination, creativity, and character on this planet. It is a shame that only the attention-getters are appreciated in society. Athletes, movie stars, music artists, and every other type of celebrity are the ones who make the front pages. What about the doctor who performs a life-saving transplant? What about the lawyer who, against all odds, frees his innocent client from punishment by the law? And what about all the other men and women who sweat and toil every day to provide for their families? In my opinion, these people are the real heroes of today’s society; these are the people we need to look at and appreciate more.

I believe that we all have something to contribute; whether it is time, talent, treasure, or a combination of all three. Laziness is a work of the devil, and it is our responsibility to do our best every day to make the world a better place. As the saying goes, “Many hands make light work.” If everybody used their own unique talents and abilities to their full potential, we could accomplish anything. I am not saying that any person could be the next Edison, the next Einstein, or the next Gandhi. What I am saying is that there is something in the uniqueness of each person that cannot be found anywhere else. This uniqueness is what can make a difference in the world.

I believe not only in the unique power of the individual, but also the effect that a whole group of people can have. In an ever-growing and changing world, an individual has a lot of potential, but less power. This is changed when a group is formed to reach a common goal. The perfect balance of power and potential is the most useful tool that we have to chase our dreams and meet our goals.