The Importance of the Farmer

Jessica - Georgetown, Kentucky

Growing up, my days consisted of getting up and going to the barn to take care of my calves. Bottle feeding and putting out feed became a daily ritual. At that time I did not realize that I was becoming part of a much larger picture, the picture of the farmer. I remember always seeing my dad coming in with a combination of mud and manure on his pants and boots every night. His hands were the perfect picture of someone who had worked all of their life in order to make ends meet. My father was the perfect picture of the farmer.

As I got older, farming became a lesser held occupation. This could be due to many things, but in all reality the importance of the farmer is dying in this overly mechanical world. In America it can be realized in an area that was once filled with hills and cattle all throughout the land now have subdivisions and shopping areas. As more emphasis is placed on needing this and wanting that new thing, the significance of the farmer is tossed aside. The farmer has been around for hundreds of years, they specifically are the reasoning behind many meat products and other produce still today. What is the difference between now and then? Then it was noticed that farmers were of importance and that while they were busy day in and day out working to make food for not only their own family but supplying for other’s throughout the local and regional areas. Now the sciences are taking over agriculture and making it more about being able to clone and get more for the price of one, not taking into account the farmer who started it all.

Farming is a diminishing industry. Nowadays those who have continued a generation old family tradition of farming are not only having difficulty doing so, but also generally must hold another job in order to provide fully for their families. With the economy as is, the farmer must do more than just ‘farm’ to take care of a family and provide them with the things needed for their lives. Farming is not only fading but is also becoming more mechanized, meaning that besides trying to make money for the family, the farmer also has to put more money into the land than the land itself is giving back in turn.

I am not saying that farming should come back into a main way of living, with the world as is, that is impossible and unrealistic. The point here is to realize just how much the farmer has done and still is doing for the world. The farmer is the father, mother, brother, sister, provider and much more to many people throughout the world. Those who still are farming need to be acknowledged for their continuous hard work and love of an industry that is slowly becoming unimportant.