I believe I can change the world and I feel lonely when I try.

Todd - Shaker Hts, Ohio

I believe I can change the world. This state I believe and it makes me feel lonely.

I played squash the other day with my med school friend and we got to talking after some playing. I kicked his butt the first game and he won the second. I wanted to win again so I started talking in his med school language.

“I believe I have found a cure for the common cold?” I say.

“Liar!” he says laughing.

“I have. Isn’t a common cold seasonal?”

“Yeah.” he says quickly.

“Well, what season is it?” I ask.

“Summer turning into fall.” he says confidently.

“Liar!” I scream and then crack a winner.

He looks at me a bit more startled and a little more curiously at that.

“So whats your cure then for this seasonal common cold?”

“Well, you’re not a liar first of all. Secondly, it is political season.”

“huh?” he is clearly confused and I knew I had his attention. He kinda gave it to me as a gift so I’ve got to speak his language.

“How did they cure the blue baby of his deviated septum?”

“Re-routing arteries.”

“Word. How did they simplify the problem?”

“By re-creating it in a dog on a smaller scale.”

“Agreed.”

“So what does that have to do with the political common cold season or whatever you?”

“Well, do you take any psychology classes in med school?”

“In undergad yeah.”

“In psych 101, did you learn the power of distraction?”

“in a number of areas yeah.”

“Did you learn the term learned helplessness?”

“I vaguely remember it.”

“Ok, well what would it take to distract people from the political common cold season? On top of that, do you think we could help them to unlearn their own helplessness? To extend this double into a triple, at the same time let’s inspire hope in them which might blossom into a lesson on their inherent power?”

“Dude, you talk too much, ya know that?”

“True. But it’s psychology, psychologists talk. Ya know the problem with a lot of psychologists these days? They think they’re right and they speak their minds.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“Not to them. But it could do harm to their patients.”

“THat’s BS….” As soon as I hear that, I quickly snap the squash ball into the wall and it booms.

“Sorry for that my friend. It was an involuntary reaction to that BS u just said.” I say to my med school friend after cathcing the squash ball. “Isn’t the first rule in medicine do no harm?

“Of course.”

“Isn’t it easier to see a doctor’s harm in the heart surgery? Because it is tangible and measureable right.?”

“Yeah.”

“How does one measure damage in the mind?”

“Tests on paper, brain scans and so many others.”

“OK, philosophy class time, what inspires fear? Rather what triggers fear in the interactive brain thing between my ears?”

“I don’t know, got any ideas on that one?”

“In your head picture Jim Brown during his prime time in his career running full speed at you in a 4 foot wide hall way. On top of that, you my friend are standing in a corner. What are some ways for you to recognize your own fear?

“Dude,i’d probably cry.”

“Funny stuff.” I chuckle. “I probably would too. So is that a way to empirically measure fear? Single to a double, is the old saying scared stiff making more sense?”

“For sure.”

“Well this political common cold season has me scared stiff. So I quit. More accurately, I surrender and it has inspired to seek a distraction. Hence this squash game.”

My friend laughs out loud and it echoes in the squash court.

“want to keep playing?”

“oh yeah.”

“let’s have some fun then. I taught myself this game of squash ya know and I’m not half bad right? I’ve never in my life had a lesson FYI.”

“You’re not half bad. I’ll give you that.”

“i used fun to convince myself that this face paced game is fun. Five bucks says I’ll make you believe I love fun. Single into a double, it’ll only take 20 minutes.”

“You’re on.”

“like a light.”

I went on to dominate him in the next 3 games. After that I ran out of gas.

This story isn’t the truth but it is based on my squash game with my case med student friend we had yesterday morning (sept. 13th) And yes, we did talk some very deep proverbial shiznit.