Rivers of Time

Jacob - Penryn, California

I believe in fly fishing, not just because it is relaxing but it is a link into my families past.

Fishing has been in my family for before I was born. I along with my brothers was raised with a rod in my hand. Every year I progressed into the skilled angler I am today. I was only fourteen when two of our families most valued items were handed down to me. On my birthday I was given my grandfathers reel and my dad’s first fly rod. The reel had been with my grandfather to the day he died. It had been to some of the most blue ribbon trout streams in all of California. The scratches and scars left his life’s story of the hobby he found most pleasurable in his life. My dad always told me that he only got to fish very little because of how his job was. It was the only thing that really relaxed him. The rod was my dads, it was his first rod he had but also made. It is the dark green color of mountain streams in which our prey live. He had built the rod with his father when he was about my age today. Now it has been handed down to me. It was an honor to receive these, and I hope my children will also feel the honor I had when they receive them. For the rod and the reel link me into the Alger families past. for every time I am out in a cold sierra stream I can feel can the spirits of them around me. For my families history will stay forever in the rivers of time