Tatiana - Rocklin, California

I believe in music. Growing up as a Latina, it’s completely part of our culture ever since I was small the most cherished memory I’ve had is music. I would hear Spanish, English even Heavy metal a couple doors down. I would hear it in the car, or at my house, or when I was getting ready. It was always there, it’s a mixture of everything put together. From singing to playing an instrument, music has always been a huge part of my life.

Music is impossible to describe, it is undefined. Of course one can say “Oh it’s just a bunch of different music notes put on four lines.” No, that’s not it, music is what connects everyone in the world, no matter where we come from. Music was just built in us naturally. We hear a beat we like we start off tapping our feet or humming, and the next thing we know were full out dancing.

I will always remember when I was about seven or so walking out of my room trying to figure out what that noise I heard was. I don’t know if it sounded like a blender or a hurt animal, something was going on. Then I realized I was listening to my dad singing along to a Spanish musician named Ricardo Montaner. Of course, at the time I knew he was a little off key and that he was full out singing. That’s when I realized that I loved singing and listening to different kinds of music. The next day my brother and I started inserting CD’s into our stereo which was huge, I mean it was 1998 or so. We were trying to find a song to sing along to. The song started playing from our huge speakers and me and my brother look at each other and start hitting our knees like we are drummers. Singing along to the then popular, Ricky Martin. We were listening to the World Cup song he sang. I loved how much fun we had. I think we also broke one of my mom’s porcelain dolls.

Later on I took Piano lessons for about a year and a half, and then I realized that it wasn’t really my passion. I quit, but then I found out that I really loved it, and unlike my dad I did pretty well at staying in key. I joined choir at my school my sophomore year. Although at first I had my doubts but I loved it and have taken it twice. I love to sing whenever I’m down or in the shower. I have also rubbed of the music phenomenon along to my brother. Who is learning the saxophone and I help him find songs he could do.

Knowing that music changes life, they have stories waiting to be unraveled. Moments are made thanks to music, going to a concert, having a song have a meaning to us. That’s what music is. To me music is life, without it I wouldn’t be who I am.