Searching for Knowledge

Matthew - Penryn, California

I believe that it is acceptable to not only acknowledge the fact that we, as people, do not know everything, but to search for the lacking knowledge. We, as humans, contain the will to search for a greater truth outside of ourselves. However, since this knowledge is outside ourselves, doesn’t it make sense that we cannot contain it completely? Why else would fields of study such as philosophy and religion exist? The search to know all that we are capable is innate and undeniable in some while others feel content in their known world.

I am far from a scholar and by no means consider myself one. There is a huge amount of information that I do not understand, even in the terms of high school. Simple ideas such as science and mathematic, which are believed to be absolute truths, still elude me from time to time. Once more complex concepts are introduced, I tend to be completely dumbfounded. Take for instance the question: where do thoughts come from? Now, scientifically, it is believed that they come from the brain. However, the inability to test on said subject provides no proof of its legitimacy. Why would it be out of the picture to simply have a spirit that merely inhabits the physical body? These types of questions seem to bludgeon me over the head with many more “What if” questions than actual answers. Yet, in trying to figure something that we will never truly comprehend, that I can’t imagine at very least, one can feel enlightened as many would put it. Being able to think outside the unknown and to actually question what is thought of as supremely correct.

Those who say that they know all they need to make it through life are simply basking in their blissfully unawareness. For some, this works very well. However, ignoring a problem does not make it nonexistent. Believing that a burglar will not break into your house does not make it a safe place to keep your valuables. In saying that they need not think higher than their selves or their circumstances, they are simply saying that they either don’t care enough to take life to the extent that it could be or that they would much rather subdue their inclination to find something greater than themselves than to release it into the unknown and dangerous terrain which awaits.

Now, for those of us who seem to believe that we know all we need to through science theories and speculation, would it hurt to think outside of the box for a second? Maybe there are things that we cannot explain. Take, for instance, whatever form of the Earth’s creation that you believe in; now, were you there when it happened? Were the people who wrote the books there when it happened? So how could we ever be absolutely sure one way or the other? How about knowing what holds quarks together? Knowing for sure what the center of the planet is? Knowing how far space reaches? Not to mention, would it really hurt that much to have a bit of humility on the subject?

I may not be the most intelligent person in the world, or anything close for that matter, but I feel that, if you refuse the truth for a lesser, you are truly missing out on what life has to offer.