Facing Your Fears

Jenni - California
Themes: fear

I believe in facing my fears. “You cannot discover new oceans, unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore”, is one of the many quotes I’ve heard about facing your fears. There has been so many situations where I have had a chance to face my fears and too many of them I didn’t take. When I say ‘too many I didn’t take, its because I should’ve faced all of them, there shouldn’t be anything stopping you from experiencing life.

No one knows all the details of the future. Opportunities may present themselves one day, and be gone the next. This past summer I went on an adventure where I came across many of my fears, and even though I faced a majority of them, I regret putting off some of them.

On June 9th 2008, a group of thirteen students and three chaperones set off on a twenty-six day adventure known as the Southwest Summer Trip. Although I was awake that I would come across many challenges I didn’t know how far I’d be pushed. I think it was about the fifteenth day on the trip, our second to last day on the river and we were going rafting. I was pretty nervous because I had never been rafting before, and I had heard of all these stories where boats have flipped and it just didn’t seem like something I’d want to do. Well our “rafts” were these things call J-Riggs. Picture three giant bananas tied together that you straddled, and they were motorized and steered by guide in the back. Right when I saw them my nerves kicked in and I thought ‘I want the second safest seat’.

Well I took that seat and we went through class four and five rapids and I loved it, but I wasn’t brave enough to step up to the front of the “wildest” ride as our guide put it. I kept telling myself I’ll do it tomorrow when we hit the less “wild rapids. Well we went through a couple more rapids but failed to find the campsite we wanted. We stopped one more time to have people switch seats and I was lucky enough to hear that since we didn’t get the campsite we wanted we were going to have to do the next days rapids as well, so I took the front seat, scared but willingly, I was loads of fun but we only hit three more rapids to my disappointment. To this day I wish I took the front seat early on and got the real experience of those rapids. My trip even though it was amazing might have been even better.

Every chance I got to do something that made my heart stop in fear after that, I did. I truly believe if I face my fears I will get more out of life, as will other people. I hope to set an example, and push people to their limits, and help open their eyes to what they’re missing by backing down.