Robert - Loomis, California

I believe in the strength of the human spirit. The stereo type is that, if a person has a broken or troubled family, the child in that family is going to have problems in life. I believe that this is not always true and I am the proof of that. I was born on February 2 1991 in Vancouver Washington at the Memorial Hospital. I lived in an upstairs apartment with my Mother and Father. When I was around two years old my mother gave birth to my younger sister Ashley. After my sister was born my dad went back to work so most of the time it was just my sister, my mother and I at home. My dad was a professional photographer so he had to travel a lot, my mom was a drug addict so she was never home and it was up to me to take care of my sister and I. when I was two years old I taught my self how to make my sisters formula, and how to feed my self as well. I think that I was able to take care of us because my instincts kicked in and I did what I had to for us to survive. On the weekends my Grandma would pick us up and take us to her house. She tells me that every time she would get us I wouldn’t have anything on but a diaper and overalls, my sister would only have a diaper on. So she would buy clothes for us, every weekend. I don’t blame my father for always being gone because he was the only source of income for the family, but when he was at home he would spend all of his time with us. When my sister was about nine months old, my dad came home and caught my mom and his “best friend” sleeping together. He divorced my mom, quit his job and moved to California to live with my great grandparents. He got a job at a machine shop, were he worked every day except for Saturdays when he had the day off. Every Friday he would get off work at 10 p.m. and drive to Washington so he could spend Saturday with my sister and me. Then on Saturday night he would drive back to Loomis so he could be back at work on Sunday. My mom had met another guy and he was living with us. When my sister was ten months old Ron told my mom “you have to choose between me and your kids”. In April of 1994 two weeks after Ron asked my mom to choose if he was more important to her than her kids, she chose him. On the twelfth of April she moved my sister’s crib out of my room and into the hallway in front of my door. That night was the last time I saw my sister alive. When I went to bed my mom locked my door, and then later that night I remember hearing my sister screaming and crying but there was nothing I could do about it. The next morning I got up and my door was unlocked so I went to check on my sister and wake her up, but she wouldn’t wake up. People say I shouldn’t remember this stuff because I was too young but I think that some things get burned and etched into your memory forever, because the last memory I have of my sister Is of her laying dead in her crib with a large cut that went from the outside corner of her eye and curved down to her chin. When the police got there they took me and gave me to my grandma because my dad wasn’t there. About a month later I moved with my dad to California were he was living with my step mom Lily.

I know that I haven’t had the worst life ever and there are people out there that have it a lot worse than I did, however I do think that my story proves that just because you have a broken or troubled child hood, that doesn’t mean that a child will be dysfunctional or a menace to society. I believe that the outcome of the child depends on how the obstacle in life is perceived by the child. If it is used as an excuse for doing something then it will not have a positive outcome for them, if they over come the obstacle and use it as a building block to understand what not to be like when hey are a responsible adult. Then the obstacle becomes a positive influence in there life through the strength of the human spirit. I Have been wrestling for 12 years now and I have to say that being involved in something that requires you to step up to the challenge every day has helped me in overcoming my obstacle and has helped to strengthen my spirits. So that I can move on in life and become a key part of society , and not a menace to society.