Those That Dream

Nicole - USA

Those That Dream

I believe in dreams. Everybody should have a dream to strive for no matter how unreasonable or unreachable.

I’ve wanted to be an artist for as long as I can remember. Years ago I sat on the kitchen tiles in my white-washed kitchen, my mother besides me teaching me to draw big bodied deer with tree-branch antlers. At one point I vaguely remember my mother leaning over the crayon littered ground to look over at my current drawing, asking me if I wanted to be an artist. I was young, enjoying the activity at the time so of course the answer was yes. But it became more than a simple response. As time went by, I spent my time doodling in color books and staying up late watching The Joy of Painting and attempting to recreate the painting of Bob Ross with crayons and printer paper.

Growing up with such a dream was difficult; I used to continuously compare my drawings to those of others, becoming easily discouraged when mine didn’t look as great. My parents had always told me to involve myself in activities that I enjoyed and pride myself in. And no matter how difficult or heart-breaking the process was, I found that the enjoyment produced from creating art overpowered the hardships and any emotions of self doubt that had formed. Creating and drawing were a source of enjoyment for me, and that was what really mattered. Upon realizing this, my dream of becoming an artist were renewed, furthermore I learned to love art even more knowing that my art was my own and unique from artwork of others.

Last summer I found myself sampling a taste of my dream by attending a summer art program at a nearby college. There I drew and painted while amongst other people with dreams similar to my own, dreamers who wanted careers as artists. Overall, the experience was highly memorable and I could envision myself attending art colleges upon graduating high school. However I realized that it couldn’t be that easy. I learned from the stories of my art teachers that having a career as an artist is difficult, filled with many hardships. Nevertheless I really wanted to become an artist, and in order to do so am willing to attend a regular college, and therefore receive a good education. I will do what is necessary to be able to support my future lifestyle as an artist, even if it means tackling difficult obstacles, for I know my dream is worth it.