Hand in Hand

Shylo - USA

I believe in truth and trust. I never thought truth and trust would be such little words with such big meanings when I was younger. My parents always told me to be truthful because it’s the honest person who would get people’s trust.

My parents would always rant on how truth and trust play a big part in everyone’s life if it were relationships, jobs, to justice. Growing up what they told me became true. I noticed how the consequences of not being truthful affected people’s life. When people didn’t tell the truth others could just sit there and watch how people would react and see how there was no trust in them, there was no solid rock between them.

When I saw this I never wanted people to think I wasn’t truthful and have them not trust me. So through my life I played truth and trust hand in hand. I had a girl at my church that I watched jump friends, groups, and lost them as fast as she came. She soon had a very dishonest name around the church which kind of made her an outcast. I knew from just looking at her she was screaming for a friend. Not just a friend, but a friend who would stay. The first thought I could think of was how she was so dishonest and I didn’t know if I could trust her because of how she was with everyone else. But I knew if I was her I would want just someone to come and give me another chance. She and I became good friends and just as everyone said she had done the same to me as she did to

everyone else but the only thing different was that I stuck around because once I’m your friend I’ll always be your friend. You can always trust that. Months pass by and I get a call from her and all I could make out was her mom was dead. When I went to her mother’s memorial she came up to me and said something that led me to tell how I believe in truth and trust. She gave me a hug and told me when she found out about her mother she could only think of one person who she could trust to tell her, it would be ok and believe them. The only person who gave her the truth and still trusted her after all she put them through and she told me, “Shylo it was you, thank you”.

That day I knew from me being a truthful person, I had people’s trust in their lives. Truth is what leads people’s relationships and how they present themselves to what they become in life. Without these two very small words the world would fall apart. I hate to say it, but my parents were right truth and trust play a big part in everyone’s life, and it is how the world goes around.