An Unbreakable Dream

Shelby - USA

I believe in dreams, my dreams.

I am a daughter, a sister, a teenager, a student, and everything obvious people from the outside would see. Yet, I am so much more. I am a friend, a poet, a romantic, an artist, a jokester, a singer, and most importantly a dancer.

Ever since I could stand, I have had a groove about me. A good ear for music and a passion for dance has kept my intrest for about 14 years now.

I dance for myself; it’s my escape and always has been. No fight, no argument, no heartbreak, no anything could affect how I feel within those few minutes of movement. Whether it be to hold back tears or let them out, dance is my cure.

When you’re little, you have dreams. Dreams of stardom, success, love, or even power. They are dreams having to do with miracles, things that feel so out of reach so you soon let go. I let go of my dream which was to dance on Broadway. I love to dance but so do thousands of other people. What makes me so special?

Yet still, to stand where the greatest have stood and be a part of something so much bigger than myself, would be heaven. I would love to be the one on stage giving kids like myself chills of admiration to be one of the greats; except, when you’re young, you feel invincible and it doesn’t take too long before you realize you’re no where close. Even still, I kept dancing.

It wasn’t until this last Christmas that the dream I once dreamt was becoming my reality. My parents surprised me with a trip to Los Angeles for an audition, an audition I would never think I could get. I was the one tapper in a room filled with fifty anorexic ballerinas. Why would the executive producer for the Radio City Rockettes watch me when they could watch everyone else? Why did I eat that taco the night before? Why wasn’t I thinner? Why did I doubt myself so much? Honestly, I was the best in there and got the audition to fly out to NYC to perform with the Rockettes.

I’ll never forget the third day of rehearsal when they took us on to the Radio City Music Hall stage for the first time. I walked to the exact center, looked up at the six thousand seats in front of me and started to cry. I now knew why i dreamt that dream as a little girl and why for all these years I have had an addiction to dance. This feeling of pride and happiness consumed every ounce of me and I would live in that moment forever if I could.

I still tear up thinking about that one moment in time and I am so thankful for it. I was everything I wanted to be on that stage and no one could touch me.

I have now had a taste of the magnificent world I want to be a part of and will be a part of.