Don’t Procrastinate

E - USA

I believe half the battle of any project is starting it. When first faced with a project or goal, I often don’t know where to start. In the early stages many things go through my mind about the logistics of my goal that I am trying to accomplish. Things like, whom do I talk to for information? Will my idea even work? How involved is my newest idea going to be? These and many thoughtscram my brain all at once and make it hard for me to start whatever I’ll be working on.

Many goals in life require a person to step outside of their comfort zone to rise up and accomplish what needs to be done. I, for one, have a hard time sitting down and immediately working on a goal. I often just procrastinate and wait around, thinking about how hard it’s going to be. And just as often, I find out that halfway through what I’m working on, I should have started sooner because it wasn’t as hard as I anticipated.

A few years ago when I was taking Spanish in highschool as a sophomore, the class was assigned the dreaded cultural project that nobody wants to do and everybody hopes for it to get canceled. I didn’t want to start it because I knew that if I started it I would have to get the rest done fairly soon, which included visiting a museum and cultural event and a lot of paper work. I kept putting it off multiple times because I just dreaded to work on it. So I picked a day so it would be fresh in my mind about what I saw, and I went to town working on it the next two days. I got it finished in less time than it took for me to think about how hard it was going to be. It was quick, not that hard, and actually a little bit fun. I should have started sooner, instead of wasting time thinking about working on it.

A good skill to learn is to not procrastinate, and no matter how many times I tell myself not to, it still happens now and then. Every once and a while I gather everything I need and begin working on my task before me as soon as I can, and once I’m started I realize that the hard part is done and I can coast to the bottom. I’m still trying to figure out why initiating a goal is just about as hard as the project itself, and I propably won’t ever know, but I do know now that it’s not worth dragging your feet about, becasue once you start and get on a role, don’t stop, the hard parts over.