Mistakes Can Lead to Happiness

Sarah - Newcastle, California
Themes: setbacks

I believe everything happens for a reason. People normally blame themselves for mistakes, but I think mistkaes only make a person stronger. Mistakes help a person realize what he or she has done wrong and how to fix it.

For example, at the age of two my parents got divorced and I went to live with my mom. We moved all over from California to Colorado and ended up in Nevada. Unfortunately, my mom met a man and got married to him when i was five years old. For eight years straight we seemed to fight at least once a night; it was as if we could fight over the color of the sky. He had never been married before or experianced living with a child. The whole journey was new to him. He couldn’t seem to figure out how to be a father figure; instead he was my worst enemy. Our fighting caused tension between my mom and me. Finally, freshman year, I brought up the idea of moving in with my dad. At first i thought it was the biggest mistake i had made in my life. When i told my mom I wanted to move I saw her heart break. I felt so much guilt and i didn’t think i was making the right choice. The longest i had been away from her was one month in the summer. Even in that one month i was homesick. Although i knew i would miss my mom and didn’t want to leave her, I knew i needed to get away from my step dad. I also knew i would be much happier living with my dad. The summer after freshman year i gained enough courage to move.

It was a completly different lifestyle that i had to get used to. At first i was homesick and missed my mom. After a few months i overcame the guilt and begun to enjoy the quiet nights of no fighting. My dad and I have always had a close relationship but nothing compared to what we have now. He helped me through all my problems. He got me into cheerleading and i met one of my best friends through it. He is alwaya by my side and helping me step by step. Even though there was tension between my mom and me, we have grown to have a much better relationship than we have ever had. Since we don’t see each toher as much, when we do we cherish it and have the greatest times. I rarely see my step dad anymore which is very nice and less stressful.

At first the situation seemed to be the biggest mistakes in my life, and ended up being the greatest decision for me. I now have great relationships with both my parnets with a lot less stress in my life. This has truely proved to me that even though it seems to be a mistake at the time it ended up being and improvment; it showed me everything happens for a reason.