Live For What You Love

Jon - Rocklin, California

I believe that if you love something with all your heart you should keep at it no matter how it is looked at and what is said about it.

I have been playing drums all my life since the age of two when I was banging on pots and pans in the kitchen. I got a kids set at the age of five. The set only lasted me one year. My parents put me through piano lessons from the age of six to nine. That is when I fell in love with learning as many instruments as I could. I got my first real drum set at the age of 10 which I have added to, fixed and still own today.

In fifth grade I joined the school band playing in the percussion. I immediately fell in love with it from day one. Towards the end of the year I had to quit because of bad grades. In sixth grade I joined back into the intermediate band. I got asked to play in the advanced band which was for seventh and eighth graders. I was good enough to play and they needed to get more people for the percussion.

During that time I had a brother going to Del Oro High School who played basketball. My family went to all of the football and all of my brother’s basketball games. You could find me next to the band watching them play.

As high school came I was so excited to join the amazing Del Oro High School band program. I started out in marching band playing bass drum. I dreaded playing it and had to find a way to make it fun. It took me awhile until about half way in to the season. Next that year came winter percussion. I tried out for snare drum. I was put on drum set because they knew I played it and they knew I was really good and the need someone. I was very happy because I loved playing the drums, but at the same time I was a little bummed that I did not make snare. I made it next year for marching band my sophomore tell they told me something happened and they needed me on bass drum. I was so nice that I moved down which was what was best for the band. I made snare for winter percussion that year and I am still playing now for my senior year.

During toughs hard times of not getting what I wanted to play I have always loved playing the drums and music. I also learned how to play the trumpet for one year, the tenor saxophone for one year, and took up learning and teaching myself how to play the guitar as my second instrument. I strive to be as good at the guitar one day as I am at the drums.

Even though you will go through hard times and sometimes not get what you want you should not give up what you love and believe in.