Music Is Life

Phillip - Granite Bay, California

From so much I’ve learned from this ultimate teacher. The teacher that can speak in every language, and not just a teacher, but a creator, a master of body, soul, and mind. One that has been present for thousands of years. I believe in music, not just listening to it, but playing it, feeling it, and living it. Not just because it can be listen to and played, but because it is unity, masterment, harmony, and emotion as well.

As a young kid I always liked listening to music, but I never actually listened to it. To me it was more like something to occupy my ears when I never had anything else to do, like as I rode in the car mom, she would be listening to 80’s music, and I sat there content. But I never really actually got to know music. That is, until the day my drum set arrived. About two weeks earlier my mom told me she had just bought me a drum set on the internet. Everyday I would always check outside to see if it came, and finally it did. I remember trying to figure out how to set it up. A routine I know fluently now. I sat, and just started hitting. The noise was terrible. Seven years later I sit at my drum set, and from its illuminant cymbals, bouncy toms, and thunderous bass drum, I play my soul.

Music to me is unity, unity between the mind, and the body. It is being able to express the mind through sound. But music is more than that, it not only unities the self, but it unites the talents of others as well. Music is a collaboration of the emotions of multiple people. And when it combines, it forms song, a harmony I hear and listen to.

Music has the power to evoke emotion. As I listen to music I feel emotions like, anger, happiness, loss, regret, hope, hopelessness, and love pour from its tone. It is a way of communication between the feelings of people. Music is music no matter what language it is sang in, or what instruments you’re playing it with. A tone is still a tone; a rhythm is still a rhythm.

Music and the drums have taught me more than I could ever ask for from a person. It has taught me persistence, consistency, determination, passion, rhythm, and expression. It has taught me to never give up, to be thick skinned, and that you can always improve. When I was younger my family never supported me playing the drums. My parents often encouraged me to play different instruments, my family would never acknowledge my playing, or support me. But I knew that drumming is what I love doing, and as long as I live I will never be satisfied with how well I can drum, because I’ll always know that I can still improve.