Dare to Be Different

Gregory - USA

If one were to look at who I am today, they would find it difficult to believe that I was once a timid and insecure child .I grew up thinking that my only purpose was to be just like my three older brothers. With believing that my destiny had been laid out before me, my individuality was destroyed. I believe that every one should find who they are instead of conforming.

When I was in sixth grade I begun to realize how impossible it was to do everything that my siblings had already accomplished. In realizing how daunting my destiny was I decided that I couldn’t compete at the level that I needed to. I told my parents that I was going to quit both my football and basketball teams. When my father found out why I was quitting, he told me, “You are nothing like your bothers you’re your own person… you can be anyone that you wanted to be.” With all that weight off my shoulders the question

was now who was I going to be.

The beginning of my seventh grade year was hard for me to find who I was. I desperately wanted to be liked by everyone, but didn’t know how to go about it. I tried to be like everyone else in both the way I dressed and the way I acted. I was following the crowd just to be excepted. I soon found myself following the “wrong crowd”, and when I realized that I didn’t want to travel down that path I stepped off the beaten path. I was yet again asking myself, “Who do I want to be?”

I was a lost cause, and the worst part was that I didn’t really have a friend that knew who

I was. I needed guidance… desperately! One day my uncle was over at my house and I overheard him say, “Dare to be different, even if it means being yourself”. There it was the direction I needed. Taking these words to heart I begun my transformation into the real me.

I realized that was generally more content with life when I was acting the way I truly am, and that my new personality helped me gain friends, a few things that I was lacking in years previous. Its amazing how such a simple phrase could change my life in such a dramatic way. I do things today that I used to be afraid that people would laugh at me for, but I don’t care what others think. I no longer worry about being liked by all, and couldn’t care less about being laughed at. I grateful that I found myself but disappointed that I didn’t find myself earlier.

If one were to look at me today, they would see a confident and enthusiastic person. I no longer care what other people think of me. Today I can say that I have true friends. Sure I do resemble a typical teenager in many aspects but I try to be myself. In the clothing I wear I prefer comfort instead of brand name. At lunch I eat with anyone that I can have a good time with. I go out of my way to try and make new friends and help others with their problems..

Life’s to short to constantly worry about what others think of you. You need to live your life and be yourself. Dare to do things different then what others are doing, and remember you can be who you want to be…