Food of Dreams

Lauren - Loomis, California
Themes: setbacks

I believe all people should stick to their dreams, no matter what other people think. I am a seventeen year old shooting for the stars. Well, they are the stars in my eyes. I have always wanted to help the world become a better place, and since America is now the fattest country in the world, that is where I want it to change. I want to go to culinary school and major in nutrition, and become a nutritionist.

It wasn’t to long ago when I realized my passion for cooking and nutrition, but don’t get me wrong, I still love sweats. It was January 25, when my mom left for Hawaii for ten days. On the second day, my parents were hiking, and my mom slipped and broke her leg. Well, when she got home, she couldn’t do anything, so, that’s when I kicked in. I started doing laundry, dishes, the cleaning, the shopping, everything that a mother has to do, but the part that I enjoyed the most was the cooking.

First of all, you need to know that my grandma and mother are amazing cooks. They can cook pretty much anything. So, after my mom broke her leg, I was on my own for a while, cooking the only things I knew, but once she got her wheal chair, she started to teach me how to cook better than I already did. We would spend hours in the kitchen cooking delicious meals, and then enjoy them after with the whole family. After about a month and a half, I decided that this is something I want to exceed in.

My mom and I were never really close, but while going through this experience with her, she is now like my best friend. My mother is the person who helped me decide what I want to do with my life, and she totally supports my dream, while many people don’t. I know you are probably wondering, she is only seventeen, she has no idea what she wants. But, it’s not true. I have been told that this is a silly dream and that I should look to something else, but I refuse. Just because my dream is silly to them, doesn’t mean it is to me.