Death is a part of Life

Carrie - Remus, Michigan
Themes: death

Well when I was in 3rd grade my oldest sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer at the age of 26. I was only 8 or 9 years old when she was diagnosed. At first she went to get a regular checkup…all that changed. Everything seemed alright for awhile but then she ended up going to the hospital and she stayed there until she passed away about six months after she was diagnosed. Here is how the story started my sister as I told you was diagnosed at age 26. She died on July 29th, 1999. You see, I was very young so I didn’t know how serious it really was, my family didn’t tell me. So the first few hospital visits, she was great; she looked great and she told me all the things we were going to do when she got out. She said we were going to go back to her house (she lived on a farm) and ride horses and have fun; it never crossed my mind that that day would never came! I remember the 4th visit very well; I walked into her room and what was lying in that bed was not my sister! She looked terrible she was pale, had tubes coming out of her! She was never the same, she kept getting worse not better. Then about one month later, after she had been getting worse my Dad had to make the hardest decision he would ever have to make! The doctor told him she probably would survive, but mentally and physically she would never be the same. My Dad said he wasn’t going to put her through anymore so he told them to pull the plug! I remember coming home from school and seeing all of my family members vehicles in the driveway. I walked in the house and I’ll never forget what I saw everyone was crying, my brothers, my other older sister, and my mom and grandma. My Dad tried to stay strong for us. I walked in and I didn’t need anyone to tell me what happened I knew, I screamed no! I then ran into my room, my Dad came in and finally explained how sick my sister really was. I was so angry with him because I didn’t get to say goodbye to her! So the lesson or belief that I learned is that death is a part of life. You cannot change that, no matter how much you want to. I’ve finally excepted that my sister is in a better place, and no matter how much I miss her and want her back I know that I can’t.