My Box of Chocolates

William - Tempe, Arizona
Themes: change, hope

I have adopted the quote “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get” as my personal philosophy from the movie Forest Gump. This quote is a reminder to keep my mind and thoughts in a flexible and malleable state because nothing is set in stone, the world is always changing and it rarely changes in a direction that benefits me. There are many distractions that could cause me to lose focus of what they I am trying to accomplish, such as: bad roommates, an argument with friends, a bad day at school, and many other situations that can arise without warning.

In my junior year of high school I found myself struggling to maintain focus on my philosophy. People I considered my close friends were beginning to outcast me and throw me aside like a piece of trash. It was hard for me to maintain focus on my schoolwork and it didn’t stop there. In this case my relationship with my true friends started to corrode. I was in a semi-depressed state, staying at home all weekend and not socializing with many people. Eventually towards the end of my senior year I decided I wanted the rest of my senior year to be memorable. In essence I had remembered my own philosophy and started to live by it again. In this case, my reaction was to stop hanging around the people who did not accept me anymore and started to associate myself with a different group of friends. This ultimately proved to me that I will never really know how people will react to my personality and I will not get along with everyone I meet.

There are many situations that make themselves known to me in my day to day life. However I must remember that not all of them are major concerns and not all of them require my full attention. I must remember that “life is like a box of chocolates” some days are caramel filled and others are coconut filled. Some days are made of dark chocolate, some of milk chocolate, and some of white chocolate. But I must remember that I can’t determine what chocolate I am picking just by looking at it. Just like I can’t tell what kind of day it is going to be when I wake up, or what a person’s personality is like just by looking at them from across the street. It is hard at times to live day by day because you don’t know what will happen; however, it is impossible to completely know what is going to happen in any given situation.

In the future I will need to remember that sometimes the box will be full of choices and sometimes the box will be emptier, but no matter how full the box is I have to remember that all choices lead to somewhere and any of the choices can be a good one.