Never Give Up, Never Back Down

Andrew - Loomis, California

Never Give Up, Never Back Down

I believe in determination through the good times and the bad. Our world is based on the determination we have as individuals. Whether it’s in love, writing, sports, or just life in general we choose how far we want to go and how hard we’re willing to fight.

I’ve been playing soccer since I was about 7 years old. Since then I’ve always been able to keep my GPA above a 3.25, and if that wasn’t enough people consider me to be kind of a daredevil. From skydiving, to jumping off waterfalls, to trying any type of sports including a board I’m willing to try just about anything. The only reason I’ve been able to continue this lifestyle is because of my determination. It was the only thing keeping me going when I was still up at 2 in the morning doing book reports, and it was the only thing keeping me calm as I gained speed getting ready to nail a trick that I’ve been trying all winter on my snowboard. I don’t know where I’d be without my determination.

However; there was a spell where things weren’t looking to good…freshman year in high school. The new faces, the new classes, the new atmosphere, the new soccer team, and all of the stress that comes with it. About halfway through the first semester I felt as if my determination began to run out. I was staying home sick when I really wasn’t just so I could veg out. I was late to almost every soccer practice, and I even missed the pictures so I wasn’t in the year book on the soccer page that year. I began to shun my homework saying that I would get it done another day.

When the grades came in for that semester and I saw that I had barely gotten a 3.25 GPA it suddenly hit me. This was the first time I had not made the honor roll list, and I began to wonder why. What did I do so differently? Why do I feel so stressed? Why do I feel so spread out? That’s when it finally clicked in my head. Before that dreaded semester I had actually wanted to get good grades, I actually wanted to play on the soccer team; I WANTED to live my life…but that semester all I wanted to do was fit in.

Determination never deserts you and will never ridicule you. You may try and give up on something, but that just means that your own determination is channeled somewhere else. Friends may backstab you, enemies may come after you, and people may just try to ground you into the dust, but your own self determination keeps you going. Gives you the fuel to get back up and prove those people wrong, to be able to mold yourself in to somebody that you want to be. Determination will never laugh in your face or say that you can’t do something. It will never push you into the ground, but instead will pick you up over and over again.