To Forgive is Divine

Sean - USA
Themes: forgiveness

There are many truths and many beliefs, but one belief I hold true to myself is to never hold a grudge. Whether it’s a fight over something trivial or monumental you have to learn to brush it off and move on. I had a friend that I knew since elementary school and we were good friends. Because he lived in my neighborhood, we would hang out constantly and got along pretty well. One day however, we had an argument over some stupid show and suddenly we stopped hanging out. Days would pass by and I wouldn’t see him and then weeks; I had other friends so it didn’t seem like such a big deal at the time. One day I realized that I had plenty of friends, but he was my truest friend of all. So I decided that the next time I saw him that I would say I was sorry and hope that everything would be fine. Well the next time never came, his parents sent him to be with his dying grandmother. At first it was supposed to temporary, but then the whole family decided to stay there permanently.

I have always made sure that I never hold a grudge anymore because it’s pointless and ruins a good relationship. One just has to understand that people have a different perspective than them. It helps that I’ve matured so I don’t let things bother me as much, but without that experience, I wouldn’t have the same outlook on life that I do now. Of course there are always going to be people that one just can’t get along with, but as long as one tries to relate, it’s all they can do. And by not holding grudges it can make one feel like a better person, because to hold a grudge, you have to be bitter. Also one doesn’t know what could be going on in a person’s life that could make them hostile or inattentive. Just like I didn’t realize that my friend’s grandma was ill, which probably made him upset. I vowed to never hold a grudge again so that I wouldn’t make the same mistake again. I now have more close friends, we never fight, and I can go through life with a warm smile instead of a cold heart.