Flip that Frown

Kevin - Penryn, California

I believe that turning someone’s from upside down can make you feel accomplished, even if it’s for only a split-second or two.

My number one goal in life is to know i made a difference in the world before I’m gone. Whether i donate ten million dollars to a charity helping save lives, or pick up some trash off the street, I just want to know I’ve make a difference. The act doesn’t have to be big to make a big difference. The easiest and most rewarding way to make a difference in the world is to put a smile on a sad face.

Sophomore year I went to Mexico on a trip with mr church. My team of about 10 drove to this church, in a terribly poor part of town, and we were going to build a classroom so that the Mexican kids had a place they could learn in. My job was to keep the ninos from distracting the workers. I played games with them, rough housed, and all that good stuff. The second day at the sight i noticed a little boy sitting under the shade of a random piece of concrete and he looked about as lonely as a cactus. I walked over and started talking to him. His name was Omar and he was five years old. I’m usually not one to call a kid cute, but he was the cutest kid I’d ever seen. He pretty much never talked and always had his head hung low. The bigger children would pick on him and push him around for no reason at all.

The rst of the week I let him follow me around. I gave him piggy back rides, picked him first for soccer teams, and even let him help paint the classroom we cuilt. By the end of the week he was the happiest kid on the block. He followed me around shouting and laughing, getting paint on his face, and jumping on my back. Watching his transform form the lonely, shy, sad little guy he was, to the energetic, loud, happy kid he became gave me the best feeling I can remember.

When we drove away the last day I was so sad to watch him chase alongside truck, knowing that this was the last time I’d ever see him, but at the same time I was so happy to know what a difference I had made in his life. Even if it was only for a week. The only physical I have now of Omar is a blurry picture of him sitting on my shoulders. But Omar made me realize how good it feels to make someone smile.