Give Me A Chance

Robin - Newcastle, California
Themes: forgiveness

I believe in second chances, and for that matter, third chances. Everyone will make mistakes throughout their lives, and in my opinion, everyone deserves another chance to make up for those mistakes.

When I was a freshman in high school, I dated a guy named Keaton. I liked him, but unfortunately we were into different things. Before I met him, I had already gotten myself into some bad situations with a lot of the wrong people. On top of school work, sports, and other after school activities, an addiction to drugs was not what I needed. It was costing me great friendships, wonderful opportunities, and many chances to become something.

At that point in time, most people had given up on me. I wouldn’t blame them of course. Among these people was Keaton. We had decided to split because I was obviously into my own things, and I couldn’t help but notice he didn’t want to be with me when I was that kind of person. It is understandable that I couldn’t be trusted, and we both knew it was what had to be done.

At the beginning of my junior year, I started talking with Keaton again. Although my drug use had toned down quite a bit, I was still struggling with an addiction. To my surprise, Keaton and I really hit things off again, but it didn’t last for long. After a couple months, we broke up again because Keaton still couldn’t trust me. I really wanted to be with Keaton and I know he wanted to be with me too; we just fit together. But something had to change. I knew the only way we could be together was if I kicked my addiction and got clean. With Keaton’s promise he’d be with me the whole way, I was finally able to overcome the bad habits I had formed, and I’ve been clean ever since.

Keaton gave me more than my share of second chances, and now we’re together and doing better than ever. If I wasn’t given the opportunity to make up for my mistakes and show my lessons learned, I wouldn’t be doing this great today. Being with Keaton again and having this chance has made my life better. I think it’s safe to say that people can change, and I believe everyone deserves that second chance.