Honesy

Andrea - Newcastle, California
Themes: integrity

Honesty is the Key

I believe in honesty. Living day to day in honesty is the key to happiness and healthy relationships with your loved ones. I’ve grown up watching my older brother lie over and over again to my parents just burying him a deeper hole for their trust. This made me want to have a different relationship with my parents in which they could trust me to do the right thing.

I believe it’s not simply about being honest with people. Even as that will make you a better person and a more accepted one it’s more a lot about being honest with yourself. I believe if I’m honest in everything I do and say that I’m genuine, loyal and true, rather than dishonest your living life in the dark, a shadow just merely fake. I’ve watched him grow up belligerent and false. Every story he told was a lie. For instance, telling our parents that he was staying the night somewhere when he really wasn’t, and unfortunately got caught in the lie several times. I told myself, “Goodness I hope their not this strict on me in two years, or wow does the bickering ever stop.” Lying was his escape, his freedom to do what he wanted without them knowing. Lying was his insecurity.

Then it started happening to me. I was growing up wanting to stay out late, becoming a “teenager”, gosh forbid I grow up! At first I was scared to tell my parents what I was actually doing, but once I started talking to my mom about boys, and girl stuff, and what my friends do, we began forming our “trust circle”. I had no reason to lie if I wasn’t doing anything wrong, all it would do was get me in trouble, and after they began to trust me it just became easier and easier. I was no longer afraid to tell the truth. That’s all my parents wanted was to be let in, be a part of mine and my brothers life. Of course, being brutally honest all of the time can have its downfalls, but most of the time it’s going to be in your favor. I’ve chose to live my life in honesty, staying true to myself, my family, friends, and boyfriend. It allows me to live an optimistic, free loving life with little regrets. I’ve learned from my brother’s mistakes, and he’s learning as he makes them, as he’s still my brother and I will always love him for who he is.