Sierra - Granite Bay, California
Themes: equality

Most of you know me. The girl that tries hard in school, the social butterfly. Just a typical teen with typical issues. And that is how you accept me. But what you don’t know is why I believe in acceptance. Why it is that I chose this belief rather than the other million I could have written about. Listen up.

Growing up I was the happy child. Always laughing and playing with a smile on my face, kind of how I am now. But there comes a point in everyone’s life when life doesn’t seem so happy. This time for me was when I was ten years old.

January 2, 2002 was the day that my mom died. She was not just a mom though. My best friend, role model, and inspiration. Coping with the death of my dad while she was pregnant with me seems unbearable. She lost her husband to a heart attack initiated from childhood diabetes. I lost my dad before I was even out of the womb. Now accepting these conditions was out of the question. Accepting that my sister and I were orphans was not really what I had planned out as an upcoming 6th grader. The smile on my face quickly vacated and the happy I projected was absent. I was severely damaged and dealt with depression for quite a bit of time.

But slowly I accepted all of the pitiful faces amongst the sympathetic adults and the uncomfortable hugs from fellow classmates. I accepted my situation for what it was. I lived for me, and knew that I could truly say I value the meaning of life. Friends kept me laughing and brought back my happiness. Change was looking good. Moving to Loomis and living with my cousins has been a great experience for me. Accepting these changes seemed easy. I don’t have the pressure that most teens have. I don’t have the parents that push me to succeed and the names mom and dad in my daily vocabulary. However I do have a sister that I love more than anything and an extremely loving and supportive family. I enjoy playing and trying and laughing because I know how precious each day really is. Life comes at a person fast and while it doesn’t always seem fair, a person must still have to accept it. My situation was not one that I was expecting or prepared for, but learning to live under these conditions is vital in order to continue on with a normal, functioning life. And that’s why I believe in acceptance.