Power of Music

Tory - USA

I must admit, I haven’t been dealt the best cards in my life. I don’t mean to complain or anything, I know that everyone has struggles & disasters at sometime or another in their lives. I’m just saying that I’ve seen and been through some ugly things. Now some of these experiences have left me fairly scarred, as in I have struggled through depression and a destructively low self-esteem, among other things.

I don’t believe in much, but what I do believe in I hold on to dearly. And one of the things I do believe in that has helped me greatly throughout the turmoil of my life is that if you have a passion, for anything; do not be afraid to pursue & live that passion until your dying day.

My passion for music has given me back a sense of purpose and has made me a lot happier, no matter how bad the situation I am in is.

I can’t go a single day without my helping of the Who, Gn’R, Rush, AC/DC, and not to mention some Dylan & Clapton thrown in there as well. The way that music has helped me is just the sheer emotion I get from listening to the emotion being portrayed. Just sitting down and list

The time when I truly realized my passion was when I decided to pick up the bass somewhere in the middle of eighth grade. Most of my family is musical as well, and my dad had a few guitars and a bass in the house. No one was using the bass, and so I decided to pick it up and try a few things. I had played a guitar once or twice before that, so the experience was brand new and a little intimidating to me. Not only was the instrument itself huge, the long fat strings on the beast were not easily tamed. But out of determination and joy from the occasional good-sounding lick I pulled off, I became a decent bassist. But somewhere in there, I realized that perhaps I could go for the next level: the guitar. The only guitar I had access to was a 1973 Gibson SG. Again, the whole thing was intimidating: an added two strings to what I was used to. That moment was about a year ago. I am now a decent rhythm guitarist, bassist, pianist, singer, and I’m attempting the drums.

So now I leave you with a better understanding of my own passion, my “Pride and Joy.” Something that keeps me going, even when I’m “Tangled Up In Blue,” and it’s the “Same Ol’ Song And Dance.” Even though “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”, “For What It’s Worth” you “Better Not Look Down.” But hey, “It’s A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock & Roll.”