The Magnificent Experiment

William - Frankli, Tennessee

The magnificent Experiment

I believe in the magnificent experiment that is this Country,

As an immigrant my expectations were of a perfect place, as it appeared every time I crossed the border from Mexico with my parents as a child, we lived in Sonora a state that borders Arizona and would frequently come shopping to the U.S.

I remember asking my father why is it cleaner here? Why aren’t there any stray dogs?

Why are there no children begging in the street? There is only a fence and it is so different, my father never had a satisfactory answer, this consumed me until I was able to move here permanently in 1971.

Even then I found disturbing signs in Texas for example you still found white only signs, but I have seen that change and I have witnessed many other changes, I call this the magnificent experiment for that particular reason, this is a Country that is able to change mostly for the better and I believe that it is this ability that makes it different, wonderful and the best place on Earth, it makes want to live forever, just to see what comes next.

I am thrilled with the prospect of an African American President, I would have never thought that possible years ago, I am excited about the world my children will get to see and live with and all the possibilities they will enjoy, I see how for some unknown reason things always seem to right themselves in spite of mistakes and blunders.

People in other countries often say that the end of The American Empire is coming that no empire can last forever, I say to them this is not an empire it is an experiment and if you involve in it fully you will realize that when it comes to an end the whole world will end, we are fortunate to be the melting pot, diversity will make us stronger, but our strength must be used for good and sharing of our good fortune with respect for how others choose to live their lives.

The most important thing that separates our country from the rest of the world is the observance of the rule of law, for some reason it singularly seems to be the cause of most of the differences between us and others, it must be preserved and cherished.

I believe that our best days are yet to come, that peace and prosperity will return, that we will learn to be even more generous and that we will keep making this the most wonderful place in the world.

William L. Lee